Thursday, August 13, 2015

When you have to go potty, STOP! and go right away. Then flush and wash and be on your way.

Did you know that in China babies use the potty from day 1. Parents train their new borns to use the potty by holding them over the potty and whistling. Eventually they go on command. They don't wear diapers. They think it is weird that our babies wear diapers until they are 3. They think it is unhealthy... well, at least my brother's mother-in-law does. And she is right, it is unhealthy. I texted my sister-in-law this week to tell her that when she has babies to USE THE WHISTLE method. My brother wants their kids to wear diapers and thinks if they learn by the whistle method they will have accidents when they hear someone whistle. First of all, if my little boy only wet himself when he heard a whistle, he would already be wetting himself less than he does now.

In fact, my brother, who is afraid his kids will pee their pants when they hear someone whistle used to live in peed-in-pants. He would hyper-focus on his video games and sit in wet pants for hours, if we let him. One time my mom warned him, "If you pee your pants I will spank you". So, a little while later he was over her knee for his spanking. I, with my bleeding heart, tried to defend him and yelled, "No, don't spank him."... Jacob lifted his head and told me, "No. She has to. I peed my pants."

You would never believe that that same boy (a person who is always right... who thinks in black and white... right and wrong) is a big Army man now. In fact he's been in the middle east for a few weeks. I was worried. He wouldn't tell us where he might go. He wasn't supposed to... so he didn't... a stickler... I asked my mom if I should go home to see him? Is it possible that he would go somewhere over there and never come back? Well... after texting my sister-in-law about the "whistle method" she told me where he is. He was headed to Afghanistan, but along the way interviewed for a job that will keep him in a safer area. There were over a hundred applicants, and he got the job. I am relieved and grateful... and forgiving of his rigid right and wrong, black and white thinking... because I am sure his nature (along with some hard work) makes him perfect for the work he is now doing... and someone that the Army can trust.

And... now... exciting news from Omaha...

Little N is learning to use the potty, which is why I texted my sister-in-law in the first place. After cleaning up littleN's pee and poop all day, I felt she should know that the whistle method has to be better than the way we do it. Don't get me wrong, I am so so so proud of little N. In the last few days he has gone from clueless to a potty champ. It is a big change for him. I think without the security of his diaper he feels, well, insecure. He doesn't want to have accidents, even though I try to convey it is ok sometimes. Last night after going pee on the potty he pronounced, "Babies don't go potty. Babies just cry!" Nate and I giggled... now that he is using the potty, he going to look down his nose on "cry-babies" in diapers.

I didn't plan on potty-training this week, but he started showing a lot of interest last week, and then after making poop in the potty twice in one day, I decided to start immediately. I wasn't prepared at first, but I have since covered my house in contact paper and purchased disinfectant wipes, puppy pads, and big boy under pants. We have about 15 books and dvds from the library on the subject and I have read about a zillion blogs. I feel like a potty training expert, sort of. So far my pupil is doing great. It is grueling though. I might feel brave enough to leave the house sometime next week. So, until then... I hope the world survives with out us for a while... you can find me at home singing Daniel Tiger's potty song and passing out potty reward stickers.

(Remember how they used to have chicken-pox parties... I think we should have potty learning parties.)

Lilli. Little N's new friend. He cried when her dad came to pick her up. They had so much fun together. 

4th of July at the Splash Pad waiting for the Ralston Parade. 

Hanging out at the parade... it has become our Omaha tradition. It seems like yesterday that we went for the first time 3 years ago. Back then we took the dog with us everywhere and littleN was still in my tummy. 

"Happy Birthday America!" Little N told us that America is outside and that it is America's birthday... we probably told him the birthday part, but he figured out the out-side part on his own. 

Good night snuggles. Absolutely love this kid. 

Omaha Rail Road Days at the Botanical Gardens. 

Hanging out with his friend Luke.

This is for people who think Nate is always serious. He's not. In fact he's rarely serious. He just usually looks like he is.

This is how only children play musical chairs. It's kind of depressing. 

My high school BF came for a visit. I can't believe she actually came. We had a GREAT time. I was a little worried, but it felt the same as it did in high school. We are both completely different people, but somethings never change. 

Nate watched the boy and let us go out for a night. It was low key but fun. We walked around Old Market and went to a C.D./record store! Really. It felt like high school. It even smelled like high school. (non champa) 

Remember Lilli from the first photo. I hung out in nursery one day and witnessed this... Little N held Lilli's hand and told her, "You are my friend". She just stared ahead and didn't know how to respond. Seriously... these two could be 16. I hope they both look that uncomfortable at 16 anyways... but at this rate he will probably be a lot smoother by the time he's 16.

summer days

pool side snacks

reading the scriptures

and... you are not going to believe this, Uncle Jon and Cousin Evie came to visit. It was so fun! (Omaha's famous Wally's ice cream)

Old Market



We missed celebrating Pioneer Day. It is so weird. July 24th is just another boring day in Omaha. They have no idea what they are missing. Anyways, we celebrated for 2 minutes on August 1st instead. 

Bricks Pizza in Dundee. 

thanks for the Coke Evie. 

tried to say goodbye, but the boy just wanted Jon to play with him and his trains. 

Fontenelle Forest. I had no idea that this place is actually cool. After visiting a few "state parks" in Omaha... Really?...The  mowed grass, lake and picnic table didn't feel like a state park, especially after living in the Mountain West. So I let any information about The Fontenelle forest go in one ear and out the other. Maybe I have just been living here long enough to appreciate it... and maybe it is actually as cool as I think it is. I can't wait to see it in a few months when the leaves start to change. 

a little elevation... this is probably what Omaha looked like when the Mormon Pioneers came through here... minus the carved out trail.

Hanging out with his friend Lilli... remember, the "you are my friend girl". These two are very equally matched. They have lots of fun together.

"The Slides" - downtown Omaha

Another new friend. When we were in Utah last spring this little girl and her family stayed in our house while house hunting. Isn't she a cutie. This is another friend littleN likes to play with. (Bellevue Berry Patch - a HOAA playgroup)

another one at the Berry Patch. 

When you have to go potty, STOP, and go right away. Then flush and wash and be on your way. 

Contact paper, disinfectant wipes, and my little potty champ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment