Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Another Milestone... around day +150

So it has almost been 150 days since I had the stem cell transplant. I am finally writing because finally something is different. First of all I am healthy and happy.

Little N and I flew west to Utah two weeks ago. I went to meet up with my parents and attend my brother and sister-in-laws' graduation. Little N did great on the plane. It was challenging for sure, but he didn't have any major melt downs. The worst thing that happened is a stewardess lectured me for not having him strapped into a car seat. Seriously, I bought a ticket for a 17-month-old. She should be happy. If he had been in my lap the whole time it would have been toddler melt-down the entire flight. She, and everyone on the flight should have thanked me. Enough of that, even though it still annoys me.

We spent a few days with Nate's parents. It was so fun watching little N and his grandpa play. He's pretty shy around new people, but he knows who his grandparents are. After the graduation at BYU-I and a mini Ellis family reunion at Lava Hot Springs, we caravanned home. We drove right into a storm, so the roads were closed in Wyoming. We were lucky to get hotel rooms. I called ahead to book rooms as soon as my parents committed to where we would stop for the night. We had to call 4 hotels before we finally found one with rooms available. ONce we got there, there were people in the lobby with no place to go. That would have been a nightmare... I cant imagine being stuck in a snow storm in Wyoming with a sleep deprived toddler. Lesson learned again... ALWAYS CALL AHEAD.

It is so so nice to be home now. It took me about a week to really recover. I guess that is how I know I still have some healing to do. Usually Im unpacked and laundry is going the night I get home... I think it took me a day to remove myself from the couch and 3 days before I unpacked. It took another few days before I cared enough to do the dishes or clean a little. My house if finally looking a little put together.

There are lots of people I love in Utah... and I didn't call anyone. I knew I only had a few days, and I didn't have a car... so I didn't call. I will be in Utah again at the end of May. I hope to get together with people at that time.

Now... the health update. Im currently taking ProGraf, or Tacrolimus. From Wikipedia:  
Tacrolimus is an immunosuppressive drug that is used mainly after allogeneic organ transplant to reduce the activity of the patient's immune system and so lower the risk of organ rejection. This drug increases a persons chances of having seizures. There are several other side effects as well. I can't remember them off the top of my head. Anyways, Im taking several pills because Im taking Prograf. I have to take 3,200mg of Magnesium a day, because the Prograf just eats up my bodies natural Magnesium. I used to take a pill to protect my liver, but I was able to stop that about a month ago. The biggest thing is I cant drive while Im on a high dose of ProGraf. Monday they are reducing the dosage and I will finally be able to drive. Over the next two months I will slowly tapper off of all the medication Im taking. I hate drugs and Im so sick of taking pills everyday. I think once Im off of all of these drugs I will finally feel like it is over... that and when I can run a 5K... Right now I can barely walk down the street, so a 5K will be a feat.








No comments:

Post a Comment