Saturday, August 16, 2014

August 8, 2013

It has been one year since I was diagnosed with Leukemia. A year ago I had a midwife appointment at UNMC. I had my blood drawn because I thought I was anemic or, I thought maybe my thyroid was abnormal. I wanted to be proactive with my health so that a few months down the road my body would be ready for another pregnancy.

Nate was working at UNCM that month and he met me at the appointment to look after Nathan during the appointment. Afterwards we had lunch. I remember the transplant team sitting near us. I mostly remember a burly bearded doctor who would be the doctor to give me my first bone marrow biopsy the following day. At lunch Nate and I were stupidly excited because little Nathan was finally mastering the pincer grip.

Prior to that lunch, Nate and I had been experiencing some tension. I was feeling overwhelmed and TIRED! I added it up to being a mom and possibly anemia or a hormone imbalance. I was jealous that Nate got to leave the house for a job, that I was sure, could not possibly be as hard or demanding as mine. I just wanted to escape. I wanted a mom break. That afternoon, sitting with my little family I thought, ok... I like them enough... they are worth the exhaustion. It was a lunch that we remember. Especially since that was the last time that we were together as a normal family with normal problems for a long time.

The next time we were together, later that day, our lives ruptured into a blur of confusion...

Last week, on August 8th, Nate and I had lunch together again at UNMC to commemorate the day. I took some Great Harvest baked sweets with a thank you card to the 7th floor. I saw one of the techs and also the nurse that was with us when I had my transplant. I cried a little, out of gratitude and happiness to be able to be there out of choice.
the end.


Aug. 7, 2013 - you can see the foreshadowing white coats belonging to the bone marrow transplant team behind Nathan



Aug. 6, 2014 - at home... a year later... playing with his food.

2 comments:

  1. I love those comparison videos!! What an adorable boy in all of his stages. I'm so glad you made it to this milestone. I'm so glad you can be healthy and strong looking back at a year ago when your whirlwind started. I'm so happy for both of your Nathans that you are with them healthy and well. I'm so sorry for the suffering you went through and hope that it stays away. Your story is so incredible and miraculous that you were able to receive treatment and healing so quickly. Much love to you.

    ReplyDelete