So, even-though Nate and I have been together for four Thanksgivings, this is sort of our first one. Year one, we were in Australia. We organized a "Thanksgiving" potluck with our church congregation's single's group. At the time Nate and I were in charge of the group. I am not sure if they caught on. I made a delicious turkey and a pumpkin pie. Nate ate so much turkey he threw up that night... and I promise, it wasn't food poisoning. I invited the rest of them to sign up for a side dish. I emailed out recipes, because being Australians they were unfamiliar with the tradition. It was nice to have something, but it was on a Sunday... not on the real THanksgiving... and it just didn't feel the same.
Thanksgiving the next year, 2012, we had a 3 week old baby N. I was recovering from a c-section, and even though we got lots of help from our moms, they had left us to figure out the baby thing on our own. I was still holding my scar when I laughed or coughed or walked up the stairs... I wasn't about to make a Thanksgiving dinner. We were invited to a Thanksgiving potluck hosted by some of Nate's co-workers... fellow residents... Im not sure what to call them. It was nice to not have to cook, but it didn't really feel Thanksgiving-ie to me. We had a middle eastern flavored chicken and rice yellowed with Turmeric. The side dishes were all in plastic containers freshly purchased from the grocery store. I shouldn't complain, and I am not, it was a blessing to have somewhere to go... and besides... it is not like I even brought a store bought side dish.... and the chicken was really good. The host's family immigrated from Iraq when she was 16. That is probably their families Thanksgiving tradition. If immigrated to Australia, I would appreciate Anzac day, but Im not sure that I would ever feel it enough to wake up at dawn to get the full oomph of the holiday.
Last year I was in the hospital recovering from my bone marrow transplant. My mom made Thanksgiving dinner and brought it to the hospital. It was nice to have them there, but it just wasn't THanksgiving. I was weak and food just didn't do it for me.
Now... Thanksgiving 2014! I really like food. It is just Nate and I and little N. Building up to today I was a little bummed. I didn't want to cook for just the 2 of us, because the little guy doesn't really eat. At the same time I didn't want to go to a buffet. Our original plan was to go to a buffet at Mahoney State Park, overlooking the North Platte River. It is an incredible view, but I don't love buffets.
So.... I broke down... and decided to cook. We are keeping it simple, but authentic.... and already I feel Thanksgiving-ie. I started to get a tiny bit excited when I purchased a flower/candle center piece this week. It is so pretty, and I think it will make our dinner feel elegant. It is 10am and the bone-in-turkey-breast is in the slow cooker (simple remember). I can smell the fresh sage on my hands. I made a pumpkin pie and and an apple crumble pie last night. The cranberry sauce is purchased and the stuffing and potatoes are prepped, the frozen rolls are thawing. I'm listening to the Thanksgiving Day station on Pandora, which includes a variety from Nate King Cole, Frank Sinatra, Mumford and Sons and solo piano music. It all works together. Very Thanksgiving-ie. Nate and little N are outside raking leaves. I love watching them out my kitchen window. So cute.
2 days ago I celebrated my "new birthday". I have new blood, a new immune system and a pretty fine chance of living a normal long life. Nate surprised me with roses and we went to the LDS temple. I am grateful for new life, a healthy body and my perfect family... and this perfect life. I don't always feel this way (just trying to keep it real), but really, I don't know how life could be any better.
Anyways, Happy Thanksgiving you all.
 |
| apple pie/crisp pre-cooked... it was kind of a soggy mess when we ate it, but still good. |
 |
| The pretty center piece that helped me get in the Thanksgiving spirit |
 |
| The view out my kitchen window Thanksgiving morning |
 |
| The pretty table |
 |
| He's not grateful for green beans |
 |
| Post dinner bomb fire |
 |
| The weather said it was 23 degrees, but felt like 6, so we pulled out the snow suit. |
 |
| Story time... with THanksgiving hats |
 |
| My hat. Team Jacob. |
 |
a family photo
We loved our day, I hope you did too. |
We love you all, and we had a wonderful thanksgiving with our fellow American senior missionaries on Friday evening. It was great. I loved the pictures and the post. Now I am so thankful you had a great thanksgiving.
ReplyDelete