Thursday, January 15, 2015

Christmas 2014

Christmas was fun this year. In the past, especially when I was single, I didn't like Christmas. I love Christ, just not CHristmas. I am changing my ways. It just keeps getting better and better... and the older little N gets the better the holiday gets... and the better all of the holidays get. 

Why is it better? Because, the entire month of December I was thinking about how I could make the holidays fun and memorable for my little family. These are a few highlights.

1. This year I made my first gingerbread house. It didn't turn out how I wanted it to, but it was a start.
2. We sang CHristmas songs every day. Little N really likes 'Jingle Bells', 'Frosty the Snowman', 'Silent Night' and 'Santa Clause is Coming to Town'.
3. We went on a horse drawn carriage ride... "Oh what fun it is to ride in a one-horse open sleigh".
4. We talked about baby Jesus daily. I don't think little N understands that baby Jesus is the same as adult Jesus... and he for sure doesn't understand why that matters, but he does know now that babies are magical. He is in quiet awe every time he sees one. 
5. Picking up and decorating our live Christmas tree... and sitting next to the light of the tree every night
6. Making paper snow flakes 
7. Decorating Christmas cookies and making chocolate for neighbors and friends... I mostly chickened out of giving the goodies away... I don't know why I felt shy about giving them to people, but I was so excited thinking about them as I made the stuff... next year
8. Making a turkey - - a 2 day venture that turned out great
9. Watching little N brave sitting on Santa's lap in order to earn a candy cane in the end... He did this at our church Christmas breakfast and at a special library story time... We had more oppurtunities, but mostly he just wanted to be excited about a Santa spotting without going near the guy. 

Christmas is fun. Maybe in a few years I might even admit that, 'it is the most, wonderful time, of the year'. For now I still love my July holidays and Easter and Thanksgiving and Halloween, but Christmas is working its way to the top of the list. 

I did write a Christmas letter this year. I sent it out to a few people. It was late going out, so if I had tried to send it to more people, it would not have happened at all. I vow to do better next year. I have started organizing addresses now. We might even organize a family photo, who knows? Here is a copy of the letter I wrote. 

On a side note, my friend mentioned this letter in her weekly Desert News article. Here is a link to her article >>>> Amy's article



December 13, 2014


Hello Loved Ones,

I can’t believe we are wrapping up another year… and that I am attempting to write a Christmas letter. 2014 has flown by. I’m not ready to let it go. It has been a great year for us. I hope it has been good for you too.

Some highlights…

Nate started his 3rd year of residency. As of right now, we only have about 18 months left. He has been told by at least one supervisor that he is a natural. He has also been warned that therapy can be exhausting. However, so far, Nate likes it. If you know Nate at all, you know he loves long, one-on-one, thoughtful conversations. So… that, combined with his inherently peaceful disposition, and you have a natural. He was also called to serve in our church congregation’s bishopric. Basically that means I see him less, and he sits on the stand during church. When Little Nathan and I arrive, usually after the meeting has started, Nathan excitedly runs up to the stand to give his daddy a kiss.  I try to sit near the front so it isn’t too much of a spectacle.

Little Nathan turned 2 this year. He is such a good little boy. He just came to us that way:  Sweet, sensitive and gentle. Even sharing just comes naturally to him, and it seems like he would never take a toy from another kid…  at least so far.  He knows that his mom, dad, nana, papa, Charlie Brown, Alice (his stuffed Kangaroo) and Jesus love him. Oh, and this year, as he learns about Santa, he knows Santa loves him too. I can tell that he’s a great little person. I just hope we don’t mess him up too much.

I started the year recovering from a bone marrow transplant. You can thank my sister Mandy for the donation of her stem cells. Without them I might not be here. I know my healing has been a miracle. I feel a little different about the other side… It feels more real to me… it feels closer. I have always had faith and a belief of life after death, but I don’t know how to explain it… it just feels more real to me now. I feel more strongly now that both life and death are a miracle. I am so grateful I get more time on this earth with my little family. For the past 5-6 months I have felt 100%. My life is busy and boring, and I have all of the energy I need to do all that I want to do. Life is good.

This life is a gift. Be good, and spend your time well. We love you. We hope your Christmas celebrations are filled with joy.

Love,

The Maesers… Nate, Tanya, lil Nathan and Doggie


p.s. If I were to re-write this letter now I would have to brag a little less about little N's sharing skills. He's gotten pretty possessive lately... I think something in his little brain has clicked about ownership... and figuring out what is whose seems to stress him out these days. My little angel is growing up.
This is church breakfast Santa. He wasn't so scary because he read the kids a story first... and Nathan watched all of the primary children take a turn before he got up... and this is where he learned that sitting on Santa's lap is rewarded with candy. 

Decorating our tree. It was absolutely perfect!

We tried to make a Christmas card picture. This photo and the next are the best of a bad batch of photos. At least we tried.  Are you sensing a theme... This is only our 3rd Christmas together. Hopefully we get better at it every year.


For playgroup we toured Father Flannigan's historic house at Boy's Town. This is the Nativity set up in the house's chapel.  

Santa #2, at the library. He wasn't as trusting with this Santa. His hand is in his mouth, that is how he asks for anything he wants to eat... I shot about a hundred photos, and he's staring at the librarian with the bag of candy, with hand in mouth, the whole time. 

My new signature Christmas candy... I know lots of people make this, but now I'm known for it too. I hope you like peppermint chocolate bark, because one day you might get some in the mail.

A horse drawn sleigh ride around Stinson Park. We actually sang Jingle Bells on the ride... I am sure every family sings that song while riding around the park. 

I didn't realize these bags were so big. Ha. My little 14lb turkey's brining bag. 

A Charle Brown Christmas. Merry Christmas Eve everyone!

The Gingerbread exhibit at the Trail Center. Nate is a cute pigtailed ginger bread girl, isn't he?


Gingerbread house at the Trail Center's ginger bread display... an Omaha tradition. 

Frosty the Snow Man

Another family Christmas card photo failure... I love us! 


No comments:

Post a Comment