She, January, started out cold... really really cold. We had a few days where the city shut down, not because of the snow, but because of the cold. On the worst day the high was expected to be 1 degree and the low around -9... That may not seem too cold, but when you consider the wind chill factor it really feels like -25 or so... The wind advisory suggested that these temperatures are most difficult for the very young and the old.
So the city shut down and those of us with little ones hibernated with our little bears... because even the most gentle child turns into a bear when forced to hibernate. I thought, oh no, here come the terrible twos. I felt so sad. All of this time my little guy has been such an angle. I have almost never put him in time out or really disciplined him... I haven't had to. Usually a hug and an explanation, and avoiding tantrum triggers, has worked.... but a few days trapped inside and the monster emerges... top that off with afternoon church, which means no nap, and he's a "live wire". That is what his nursery leaders told me that week. He and another girl got in a fight. A FIGHT. She had a scratch mark next to her eye and he had one on his cheek. He's always been a turn the other cheek kind of kid... but not after a week of hibernation and then throw afternoon church into the mix. My solution? A play-date. I decided that these two are going to be friends. I think the play date worked, because I peeked in on them the following week and they were sitting next to each other during story time. The little girls mom told me that all week she had been pretending to play with little N... so it worked. We are going over again this week, to play again.
My oldest niece, Rian, turned 14 years old this month. She was conceived and born while I was a missionary in South Africa. Even though I haven't been around as she has grown up, her life means something to me. She is such a beautiful unique girl. She is someone my sister can be proud of. Her birthday also reminds me how much of my life has gone by since my mission, which feels like yesterday. Before my sister told me she was pregnant I had a dream/vison. I call it a vision because I had the "image" while I was scrubbing the floor and missing my sister so much my heart ached... I have never missed anyone that much. In this "vision" I was walking with a little red headed girl and I knew it was my sisters daughter. The little girl had red hair... and ... she was also named after me. I sent a letter to Mandy telling her about this experience. At the same time she sent me a letter announcing that she was pregnant. I didn't even know she was trying to conceive. When I insisted the baby was going to be a red head she thought I was crazy... Mandy has dark hair and olive skin, no one anticipated that she would have a red head. Well.... Mandy has two. Two out of her three are redheads. Anyways, this is Nathan singing Happy Birthday to his cousin Rian. Oh, and she didn't name Rian after me. Why doesn't anyone want to name their child Tanya? hmph.
This is what he does while I read my scriptures in the morning (a new New Years habit... I have always had a hard time with daily scripture study)... It makes me realize that it is almost as important that I do it, as it is important for him to see me doing it... you should probably know other than scripture study time, he only reads stories before naps and bed time. Going and getting these books and sitting across from me while I read my scriptures is his own doing.... and about scripture study... its supposed to bring more peace into your life... it always makes mine harder... I assume that is because such good things come from connecting with God's word, but other things work against me to try and keep me from doing it... So far I am still reading daily... so here goes to a year that will eventually, "after a trial of faith", be filled with more peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment