Perhaps Nathan will tell a different story and maybe he will tell the same story. Here is our story from my perspective. We met last November online. It is not exactly romantic, but that is ok. I was initially interested in the fact that he was overseas. We wrote. From our letters I could tell he was thoughtful, down to earth and maybe even funny. I could also tell that he was not materialistic. All things I like in people.
About a month later we met for lunch in Salt Lake. I think we were both nervous, but I remember that I liked the way he genuinely laughed at a Bon Jovi joke I made. I did not think anything would come of this meeting. I did not think we had the kind of chemistry necessary for anything to really happen in the time frame available. What we did have was good conversation. Nathan walked away from that meeting thinking that we could have “a life time of interesting conversations”. I am glad he had that thought, because look at us now.
Being with Nathan is easy. We are comfortable together. In those first few weeks I remember thinking that we had the potential to “get” one another. I remember thinking, “Here is someone I could actually marry.” Then I thought, “Crap. I have just started to really like my single life”.
Even though being with each other has been easy from the beginning, making this choice to unite was not. We have talked about it as a ‘leap of faith’. Our relationship is so new. I think we both would have liked a longer courtship. At the same time having a deadline has forced us to choose each other and to trust. I trust that it is a good choice and I trust him.
This is exciting. Every once in a while I get a glimpse of reality and realize that we are about to start life together. That alone is an adventure. It makes me happy. More than anything I look forward to building our relationship. I look forward to learning what it is to create and have a family. I look forward to being with him.
For those of you who do not know me yet:
- I was raised in Houston
- I’m the fourth of six children. I have three sisters and two brothers. I get the red hair from my mom. My mom grew up in SLC and my dad grew up an Idaho farmer. My dad now works for the LDS church in Houston. He manages the peanut butter cannery.
- I graduated with a B.S. in Sociology and History from SUU. I absolutely loved studying sociology.
- I have been working in social services with the homeless for over 3 years. I have been working at The Road Home and I love it. It is a great organization and I feel lucky to have been a part of what they do for people.
- I spent a few years hiking around the desert with at risk youth in wilderness therapy programs. The Anasazi Foundation and Outback Therapeutic Expedition.
- I served a mission a million years ago in Durban, South Africa.
- I taught English to tiny cute kindergartners in Taiwan.
- I drove a tour bus in Alaska
Above all I am interested in being a good person and being good to the people around me. So far I think I have been pretty successful. That is all for now.
Thanks for posting this Tanya! I love what you wrote about trust and taking that leap of faith. You have an adventurous, kind, and faithful heart. I know you have a great sense of humor too, because . . . well, just because. How can you not have one if you marry a Maeser?! Welcome to the family!
ReplyDeleteI think I need a secret decoder ring to read this...all I see are symbols. Is that just me??
ReplyDeleteOh dear heather. I am not sure where I went wrong.
ReplyDelete