So we all expected this to be a total relapse. We just heard from one of the doctors that this isn't the case. I have a really unique leukemia.
There are Myeloid leukemias and lymphomas ... and this disease is an ACUTE myeloid/lymphoma leukemia... with every day they are able to gather more and more data. But we do know that we want to get rid of the cancer cells as soon as possible.
I will be on a chemotherapy regimen called HAM (High-dose cytosine arabinoside and mitoxantrone) when I googled it, I found an article that said, “a highly effective regimen in refractory acute myeloid leukemia”... and another that said, “for the treatment of refractory acute lymphoblastic leukemia”... so I guess it will cover the basis.
Hopefully this (HAM) regimen will put the cancer cells into remission. If that happens, awesome!!! And then there will still be “consolidation chemo” prior to transplant... and as we move forward and as the docs know more we will have a better idea as far as what to do.
The jury is sill out as to who my donor will be. My docs all meet together to decide what to do. The rounding doc today shared with me the three camps... 1, Mandy, my sister... who was my donor 5 years ago...2. Some are saying to try my sister Chalice who was also a 10 out of 10 match 5 years ago..... and 3. They are talking about finding a stranger donor.... and in 5 years they have learned more about stem cell donors, and one of my other siblings could now be a candidate where they were not before... or even my mom or day.
I haven’t told my family any of this yet... so surprise.
I loved Mandy’s stem cells... but I am not sure what they will decide is best.....
So thanks all for your prayers... I’m sitting here enjoying the company of my little family... feeling fine. In about a week I might feel yucky, but not necessarily... Let’s hope I tolerate the chemo well. Last time it was hard, but what really rocked me were the infections after...so fingers crossed there will be no infections and minimal discomfort from the chemo...
No comments:
Post a Comment