My mom used to always make chili on Halloween... We would also have apple cider and donuts. I wanted to make chili, but I made it the week before for our wards Trunk-or-Treat. So we had spaghetti instead. We didn't have apple cider, and we didn't have donuts... next year. Im doing good to make sure we had spaghetti. (I didn't cook that day, my mom did... but from my recipe, and because I was stuck at the hospital until dinner time getting a blood transfusion... which is appropriate for Halloween, right?)
On the apple cider/donut note, my Uncle posted an interview with my grandmother... She was dressed with a black wig and a vampire cape. He asked her about her first Halloween. My grandmother is 85 years old... so it was probably almost 80 years ago. She said they had never heard of trick-or-treating or Halloween until they moved to a new town. That first Halloween she went trick-or-treating and they ended at a neighbors house for a party. They were given warm apple cider and donuts... they sat around and the father told the children ghost stories... and they bobbed for apples, but my grandma could not catch an apple.
I love that story. I love it because I think hot apple cider and donuts are an important part of Halloween... and I never knew that it was because it was served at my grandmother's first Halloween.
Little Nathan's first Halloween was great. We went trick-or-treating to 5 or 6 houses. Nathan didn't grab for candy and he didn't say trick-or-treat. We will work with him on that. We thought we would get trick-or-treaters, but we didn't. While we were out my dad sat in the driveway playing 'The Monster Mash' on his phone.... waiting.... and they never came.
As soon as we got home Nate, who was on-call, got called in to work. Mandy and I watched t.v. and forgot that it was Halloween. Sometime after 9:00p.m. someone knocked on the door - Mandy jumped and said to me, "whose that?". It took me a second, but I remembered..."oh ya, trick-or-treaters"... I answered the door with my bald head, huge ugly glasses and wearing leggings and a t-shirt... the t-shirt left my arm exposed so Im sure they saw my pick line. If people are not familiar with cancer, I think it would be a scary site... or at least a little shocking... but they took two handfuls of candy each... Im glad I didn't scare them without trying to.
 |
| Mandy looks a little creepy... she agrees... she was trying to look creepy. |
 |
| I'm making the face that Uncle Fester makes... but you cant tell that Im Uncle Fester, because I didn't paint my face.... Didn't feel like it. |
 |
| Fake Laughing... having such a great time. Little Nathan started it. |
That sounds like fun. I wish I could sit around and watch tv at night with you! And donuts and cider sound good too. We're all still praying for you here. Love you!
ReplyDeleteSounds like Mandy's "giving" went well. How about an update as to how you are feeling and how are your counts coming along. Are you still planning on the 18th? Sending lots of love! :)
ReplyDeleteyour halloween costume = awesome.
ReplyDelete