So we have two matches. We are so so so lucky. Does that mean that I just choose the sister I like the best? No. I forgot to mention, my brothers' test results have not come back yet. We won't know if they matched until next week. Once their results are in, then all who matched will send in another blood sample and they will further test for the best of the best match.
I didn't doubt that I would have a sibling match, but to have more than one is really lucky. When I told the nurse she just said, "Sibling matches are so much better". Nurses are wise. They know a lot. They see a lot.
To answer Stephanie's facebook question, being a genetic match doesn't have anything to do with looks. I don't know anything about genetics, but I know it doesn't have anything to do with looks. Im going to do some research so I can explain it better... and not sound like a total idiot. I thought the same thing. I just assumed it would be Spencer, because after shaving my head I was surprised how much I look like him.
So hooray to multiple matches that allow us to be, as Mandy said on facebook, choosey.
I found this information on the Nation Bone Marrow Transplant Link website.
Peripheral Blood Stem Cell Transplant
When stem cells are taken from the circulating blood, the procedure is more like a blood donation. The stem cells in the circulating blood are called peripheral blood stem cells (PBSC). Like the stem cells in the bone marrow, they are able to divide and produce red cells, white cells and platelets. The concentration of peripheral blood stem cells in the blood, however, is very low. In order to collect them, medications known as colony stimulating factors or growth factors are given to the donor to stimulate the bone marrow to produce more stem cells, which are then released into the blood stream. The growth factors are administered as injections under the skin daily for a maximum of five days duration. Once they are in the blood, these stem cells are collected in one or more sessions normally taking four to six hours each. Stem cell collections are performed as outpatient procedures. Donors should plan to spend most of the day in the hospital on the day of collection. In this procedure, which is called apheresis, the blood circulates through a machine called a cell separator that removes the peripheral stem cells and returns the rest of the blood to the body. The stem cells are then stored and frozen until the time of the transplant for autologous bone marrow transplants. If the stem cells are collected from a related or unrelated donor, they are given immediately.
I found this information on the Nation Bone Marrow Transplant Link website.
Peripheral Blood Stem Cell Transplant
When stem cells are taken from the circulating blood, the procedure is more like a blood donation. The stem cells in the circulating blood are called peripheral blood stem cells (PBSC). Like the stem cells in the bone marrow, they are able to divide and produce red cells, white cells and platelets. The concentration of peripheral blood stem cells in the blood, however, is very low. In order to collect them, medications known as colony stimulating factors or growth factors are given to the donor to stimulate the bone marrow to produce more stem cells, which are then released into the blood stream. The growth factors are administered as injections under the skin daily for a maximum of five days duration. Once they are in the blood, these stem cells are collected in one or more sessions normally taking four to six hours each. Stem cell collections are performed as outpatient procedures. Donors should plan to spend most of the day in the hospital on the day of collection. In this procedure, which is called apheresis, the blood circulates through a machine called a cell separator that removes the peripheral stem cells and returns the rest of the blood to the body. The stem cells are then stored and frozen until the time of the transplant for autologous bone marrow transplants. If the stem cells are collected from a related or unrelated donor, they are given immediately.
such awesome news!!! I also guessed Spencer just because you guys look alike more than any--and Mandy was last of my guesses because you don't look alike :) Now I know that was false thinking! LOL. But anyway--so excited that you have OPTIONS!!! Will the match need to fly to Omaha or will just the marrow be flown to you? Happy Day!
ReplyDeleteThe match will be in Omaha for about 10 days. Starting on a Monday hey will receive drugs to stimulate stem cell development for about 5 days... They will probably have to come in every day to the outpatient clinic to receive the drugs. Then the following Monday or Tuesday their stem cells will be harvested.... and given to me through an IV. Who ever it is, Nate and I will fly them out here. Ya, I can't find information on the gene thing...so I still cant explain it...Genetics are complicated and fascinating. I wish I knew more.
Deletecongratulations tanya!!!! i'm so glad you have so many siblings!!!
ReplyDelete:) me too.
Deleteya I agree...the whole body is complicated :) Some things just can't be explained. It sounds like your donor will donate the "newer" way if it's how you explained above. My SIL did the extraction through the needle in the hip method. So thankful for modern medicine that can help heal our amazing body! Hope the fever/sickness is better today!! Love you!
ReplyDeleteit is better. They finally found out I had NOROVIRUS. Its a virus that cruise ships are really paranoid about. It hits hard and fast, 3 days. Luckily I was at the hospital on fluids and anti-nausea medication... and I was being pumped with anti-biotics and minerals to balance my electrolytes. I was miserable, but it could have been so much worse. 3 days makes sense, because Wednesday was the third day, and I just felt better. I had a fever last night, but havent had one all day. It has been another good day.
DeleteHow great that you can be choosey! Any basic time frame for when the transplant will happen? It sounds like it will at least have to be 10 days away. Sorry if I missed the answer to this in one of your posts...
ReplyDeleteHi! It is great news! They are shooting for mid to late October for transplant. I think it will be more like late October. In a few weeks they will give me more chemo - 5 days of consolidation chemo. Then 5 days prior to the transplant I will be on chemo again. On the 6th day when everything in my bone marrow is gone gone gone, I will get the new stem cells. It's ok. I don't know that I've answered that question already. In a few weeks we will have more of a calendar, but at this point there are still a few variables.
DeleteI saw the missed call on Thursday and tried calling back, but I didn't have the extension and couldn't remember her name. I figured I would call her in the morning because I had all my notes next to my phone at work. But she beat me to it. She let me know I was the other match on Friday, but because Mandy is younger, she wins so far. I was also told having babies makes me less desirable. I don't know if number is a factor, but I've been pregnant more times than Mandy, so she wins there too. The other thing I was told was that if we have some kind of virus in our system that would make us less desirable. I can't remember what virus she was referring to, but she compared it to chicken pox - if we have ever had it, we will always have it in our system and it would be difficult for Tanya to fight that virus since she won't have an immune system. So she is holding out for Jake to see if he's a match because he would probably win over us girls. First - he's the youngest, second - he won't have been pregnant and 3- if we're talking chicken pox, I think he's the only one that got the vaccine for that. The rest of us all just got it. Having said that, if neither brother is a match, it looks like Mandy is winning the trip to Omaha!
ReplyDeleteshe told me number of children doesn't matter, just the fact that you have had children. So it's between age and that virus. I wonder what will happen if Spencer is a match, and he doesn't have the virus... I wonder if that would make him more desirable. Who knows? We should know tomorrow if the boys matched. Thanks for being a contender Chalice.
Delete