I am anxious to get the results from the biopsy today, but Im not anxious to get the biopsy. By tomorrow afternoon we should know if I need another round of chemo this hospital stay. If I do not need another round, they will monitor me for another week, and if everything is good, I can go home for a week or so. I really want to go home as soon as possible. Even if I am still a sickie, I want little N to see that our family is still intact.
About the bone marrow donor... All of my siblings have been contacted by the transplant case worker. I should know by mid September if I have a sibling match. A few non-siblings have offered to get tested, which is great. However, the testing is a few thousand dollars, so insurance will only cover siblings. If a sibling doesn't match, the next step is the national bone marrow donor registry. It takes a few months to go through the registry. The case worker suggested that wannabe donors register with the registry... and then if they come up as a match, great. They will be contacted and asked if they are willing to be a donor. This also means they are available as donors for everyone else, not just me. I wish it were more simple, or that non-sibling family and friends could easily be tested. But, it just isn't a simple thing.
About blood... Today is another blood day. I'm getting a transfusion right now. The first time I was given blood, it freaked me out. I made the nurse put a towel over it. I didn't even want to think of my own blood, let alone someone else's... but new blood makes me feel so good. It put color in my cheeks and gives me energy. Now Im excited to get new blood. Today my doc said they would keep my hemoglobin above 8. Usually they only give a person blood when they drop below 7. But, my heart has had a few "cardic" episodes the last few days. This has happened my whole life. My heart will just pick up and start beating really fast for a few minutes... then it stops. I usually just sit still and breath deep until it stops. This morning it started when the nurse was drawing my blood and it lasted for about 30 minutes. As soon as the nurse was about to inject medication to slow my heart, the rapid beating just stopped.... and returned to normal. So, she didn't give me the medication. Im glad, because I knew it would stop and I didn't want any medication for it. Since it has happened twice in three day Doc said he thinks my heart is a little sensitive to everything happening in my body right now. He gave it a name... usually happens in older patients... anyways... because of my sensitive heart I will get new blood more often. good. I like new blood.
About being a fall risk... Outside my door is a cute picture of a falling star. Nate said to me yesterday, "Do you know what that mean?" and I didn't. He said, "It means you are a fall risk". A falling star. I've been labeled a fall risk because I passed out ONCE. Just once. Last Saturday night in the bathroom... while washing my hands... so it wasn't embarrassing or anything... my pants were pulled up... I came to as soon as my head hit something. Now I've been labeled a falling star for the rest of my stay. cute.
That is all I can come up with. When I know more about today's bone marrow biopsy, I will write it here.
No comments:
Post a Comment