I finished reading an article that Amanda sent me published in 2007 by Phillip G. McLeMore called, "The Yoga of Christ". I came across this article when I was writing my undergraduate thesis in Sociology in 2008. I skimmed through the article at that time, but didn't give it my full attention. I was cramming everything I could into my brain that had anything to do with Eastern style spirituality and LDS religiosity. I had procrastinated writing the paper, and would not have graduated if I didn't finish it. It was a wonderful and stressful time. I learned a lot about religion and spirituality by making a study of the subject and through interviews I conducted with people that were both LDS and "spiritual" in an Eastern sense. My conclusion was that being LDS is not limiting... that it is expansive... and that the Eastern way of approaching spirituality does not contradict LDS living. Im sure lots of people may disagree with me... but, whatever. I finished the paper and have a degree.
Since I got married that is one side of my life that I have neglected. When I was single I needed to feel Gods love... because without it, I felt really alone. I don't work as hard for that connection now. I don't do yoga, I don't take hikes by myself... I don't go to the temple by myself... I don't meditate. Mostly, because I don't have to... and I love hanging out with my little family, they are so much fun. .. and I never feel like I have enough time with them. When I was single I went to the temple every-week, by myself... I did lots of little wonderful things, by myself... I was never alone, because in the loneliness I connected with God... again... it was out of a need... and I've neglected that because I have so much love in my life now. However, anyone who loves God knows that that need for divine connection cannot be replaced by any person.
So my thoughts now... I again find myself with lots of time... Im here in this hospital room with lots of alone time. It can be lonely... but finally, unfortunately, I have the time and the need again
So, I don't know if it was just the article that lifted me... or finishing chemo for now... or doing yoga this afternoon... but I feel really good. When Nate, Little N and Saundra were here this afternoon we left the floor and visited the "In Memory of Susan Buffet" garden again. It smelled gross, like beef outside, but it was nice to feel the warm outside air.
P.S. Im really starting to look bald now... like Gollum. Nate says I still look cute. I tell him he's blinded by love.
![]() |
| not fishing for compliments... but crazy, huh? going, going, almost gone. |

Wow, what a powerful and beautiful post. This is why I consider you a life long friend. I could not agree more that both religions speak the same language in the end. Truth, love, awareness, presence, god etc...
ReplyDeleteYou're such a beautiful and kindred spirit. :-) Each day I hold you in my heart, and visualize you here for a very long time.
Sending love and smiles your way.
Jenn
Thanks Jenn. I consider you a life long friend too! I wouldn't mind being in Seattle. I had a dream the other night that I was riding my bike all over Seattle... flying over hills with ease. It was a good dream. :)
DeleteTanya, I didn't know about all this. I'm so very sorry. I will definitely follow your blog and keep up to date on how you are doing. All my best and prayers to you!
ReplyDeleteThanks for your prayers... ya... it was a shock to us too, but we are over the shock now... and just taking it a day at a time. Luckily my body is strong and resilient, so everything could be much worse. The blog might get boring... since the initial shock is over, but I will keep writing. Love you!
DeleteYoga of Christ is one of my favorites...so appreciate your thoughts...it feels like we should be lifting you, but instead you're doing all the lifting. Love you!
ReplyDeleteIt is ok. You are not that heavy.
Deletedid you do yoga alone? or does someone teach it in the hospital? you know i bet there are some good "yoga for cancer" books out there. i'm going to do some researching...
ReplyDeleteI just did a prenatal yoga dvd that I have. I figured if is safe for a pregnant woman, than it is safe for me now. Of course... I wasn't able to keep up with the squats, so I modified and followed the 3rd trimester example during that part. Please do some research. I would love something... I think restorative would be really good too. Unfortunately, the prenatal dvd is the only yoga dvd I have right now.
DeleteYou have a well shaped head so you look great bald. Not Gollum-like at all lol.
ReplyDeleteI'm going to check the article out right now. It sounds enlightening! ;) I'm glad you are able to do some yoga. And are done with chemo 2. I hope you stay as fat and plump as possible and that they are generous with the blood!
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean about not needing the Creator as much because you family fulfills that need. I find myself neglecting those spiritual relationships more frequently now that I am married. There is always something to improve. I guess that is why I am still mortal. Love ya!
I'm going to check out the Yoga of Christ article. One of my goals for 2013 has been to practice Yoga. I joined a yoga group and have very much enjoyed learning about the spiritual side, as well as the physical side of the yoga philosophy. It has been a great stress reliever for me. I love the mind/spirit/body connection of yoga, like the LDS religion's view of the importance of our spirits and our bodies working together . . . with everything having a physical and spiritual component.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you have this resource to help you through a tough time. It's a great healing philosophy.
I love your blog. Thanks so much for your insights and new.
A note on the word "ooops" That is a BAD WORD in my profession. We don't use that word.
What an amazing writer you are. I agree with you about Eastern religion and LDS faith... one of the many reasons I love our church!
ReplyDeleteThere are times and seasons for things like you've said. It's OK that you dropped some of the things to bring you closer to God. Your family does that, even if you aren't necessarily seeking out that spiritual bond. You're right about needing it more now though, I'm sure that finding some spiritual enlightenment every day helps lift your spirit.
Keep writing Tanya, you are such a beautiful person inside and out. I love to hear your thoughts!